Insurance quote for a SuperDuke

• Hello,

I didn't know where to post this as didn't find any general questions forum regarding the SuperDuke, I hope you don't mind me asking in here:

I'm about to move to Germany and I'm interested in buying a SuperDuke when I move there as a friend of mine has one here in Sweden and I love that bike, it's the best and most fun bike I've ever tried! I'm wondering what the cost of insurance for a SuperDuke is like in Germany? I'm 26 years old, I've had my motorcycle license for 5 years. I'm going to live in München. I don't know if you have this kind of insurance but I want an insurance which covers both damages to other vehicles if I cause an accident, theft as well as damages to my bike if I crash it or cause an accident. I know you can't give me an exact quote but I'd like a hint of what to expect. In Sweden my insurance for a SuperDuke would probably cost me something like 2000-3000 Euro a year which is why I haven't bought one, it's just too expensive!

//Eric

• Hi Eric,

The situation in Germany is as follows.. Any bike with more than 100PS is very expensive to insure with a policy that covers repair to both vehicles (vollkasko) . I am 33 have a licence for 10 years and pay around €250 / year for a policy which covers damage to other vehicles / people, and theft of my bike, but my bike itself would not be repaired under this policy (Teilkasko).

To get a policy which covers damage to both will be around the sum you mentioned(€3000) or more. Most damage to your bike (if you are lucky) would not cost as much as the year insurance. which is why there are 3 options.

1) Get crash bungs, ride within your limits (minimise any damage should you be unlucky)
    2) Get the bike restricted to 98PS then you can get cheaper Insurance.
    3) Get the bike, take out the cheap insurance, ride the bike like you stole it, and have a big grin on your face!! (forget restriction)

Most SD riders choose option 3!!!

Hope that helps

Bev

• in a BMW R1200GS Forum there was a long thread on his topic, initiated buy a guy who compared his current insurance to one he found out to be cheap in motorcycle insurances. I checked them out and was asking for a quotation for my R12GS coverng both the liability and the fully comprehensive insurance. The result was about 30% less on my liability and about 75% on the fully comprehensive insurance. It is the www.bgv.de. Some users there already changed to this company because they had better rates espacially on the fully which other insurances are not very keen on covering

• Thanks for the info!

I had a feeling the price would be about the same, seems like insurances are just as expensive all over the world. I've always been reluctant to not having a full insurance if I take a loan to buy the bike, I don't want to crasch the bike and still have to pay the loan for many years to come.

But if the limit's at 100ps then the 950 Supermoto should be cheaper to insure? I've heard nothing but good things about that bike, perhaps I should look into it. Or I can follow your advice, just ride and have fun!

//Eric

• Sorry guys, but EUR 3.000,- per year for full insurance sounds too much for me. Is that really true? Maybe in Germany?

Enclosed is a calculation from an Austrian insurance company for a Superduke. Total amount (everything covered - even legal protection):
    EUR 1.857,22.

• OK, get this one: down here in France, you can get a bike insured all incl. for about 450Euros...

I fear this does not especially make a lot of german SD-pilots my friends actually... :grins:

But before getting you decided to move to France, may I advise you (as a Belgian who's half a German) that this fact and the one that there is no technical control for bikes in this country are almost the only good points!

Heard a lot about Frenchies before... I know them as neighbours since five years now...
    There are differences! :amen:

Success is like being pregnant: Everybody says "Congratulations!" but nobody knows how many times you got fucked!

(www theft)