Steering Damper Fitment?

• Hi Guys,
    Do you think its possible to fit the wp steering damper to the standard top yoke?
    All it would need is two carefully drilled holes?
    What do you think?

Cheers.

• Hai Guys,

What you are suggesting, drilling carefuly in the top-yoke, was also my idea, (certainly when i saw the price for the KTM original machined top-yoke)
    But this is likely to give you severe problems.

When I bought my SD in jan. 06, I explaned this idea to my brother (he's an aviation tool-engineer.)
    He works with all kinds of alluminum, and he explaned to me, that drilling in the cast-alluminum in this specific place, is verry delicate.
    Due to resonance (what the purpose of the steering damper is e.a. elliminating this) will deteriate the structure of the alluminum and is lilely to crack/ rip.
    At the end, you won't want his to happen in on fast track. :staun:

Also welding the alluminum, means changing the structure, and can generate the same risks! :weinen:

So I put all my saving monney in the original KTM parts :motz: but it's worth it!
    The most effective is the use of a damper when your doïng al lot of highway miles with high speed curves.
    The most effective driving the SD without headbanging, is setting the WP's to your specific weight.
    Original rearshock setting on my SD was 2mm pre-springload!!??. :arsch: (i assumed KTM already did this right in the factory)
    After adjusting the rearshock to the standard 6mm pre-springload, it was a completly different bike! It helped even more than fitting a steering-damper after all.

Succses with your SD's

Greeting from Holland, Rene

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Rene ()

• Zitat

Original von Rene
    the structure of this alluminum deteriating and is lilely to crack/ rip.

I've posted my same opinion here

Gruss Roger
    ...der mit ohne KTM... :zwinker: