KTM 690 SMC-R 2015 Problems in 6 months

• Hi, I don't speak German but Germans are far better in tuning then most of the world. I have bought a New KTM SMCR last year in december 2016 with akrapovic race open air filter and powercommander with map for open exhaust. After 2000km the clutch was slipping when engine becomes hot. After 3000km the carbon cover of the exhaust with all the inner parts of exhaust blow out on the highway. The clutch was within the margin so we applied a thicker spring in the clutch and the clutch worked fine until now...12000km and my clutch cover blows out the engine toghether with a broken spring mount. The exhaust (EVO I kit) was repaired under warranty for the first time but after 40000km the new exhaust had the same problem. I installed temporarely my BOSS exhaust of my Yamaha R1 1999 with carbon cover and this is a still working config until the KTM guys give me a new AKRA exhaust. So now I have no riding bike, and I still am in discussion with KTM of the clutch and exhaust needs to be replaced under warranty. Any of you guys know this problems and how to solve this? The KTM guys told me I was riding to much. 12000km/6months is to much for this machine? I used 8 sets of rear tires and 4 of front tires in this time....this thing is eating rubber

• Hi, I don't speak German but Germans are far better in tuning then most of the world. I have bought a New KTM SMCR last year in december 2016 with akrapovic race open air filter and powercommander with map for open exhaust. After 2000km the clutch was slipping when engine becomes hot. After 3000km the carbon cover of the exhaust with all the inner parts of exhaust blow out on the highway. The clutch was within the margin so we applied a thicker spring in the clutch and the clutch worked fine until now...12000km and my clutch cover blows out the engine toghether with a broken spring mount. The exhaust (EVO I kit) was repaired under warranty for the first time but after 40000km the new exhaust had the same problem. I installed temporarely my BOSS exhaust of my Yamaha R1 1999 with carbon cover and this is a still working config until the KTM guys give me a new AKRA exhaust. So now I have no riding bike, and I still am in discussion with KTM of the clutch and exhaust needs to be replaced under warranty. Any of you guys know this problems and how to solve this? The KTM guys told me I was riding to much. 12000km/6months is to much for this machine? I used 8 sets of rear tires and 4 of front tires in this time....this thing is eating rubber

Hey Deepske
    Well, you have a new bike, everything happens within 2 years warranty must be replaced with the warranty, no excuses! so dont pay anything! But remove the powercommander before you go to your KTM dealer (warranty will not cover it with powercommander)! I did 11'000km in 6 months with my smc r 2016, had no troubles at all - just drinking a lot of oil ;) 1L/1000KM...

the clutch .. you do a lot of clutch-wheelies? if no, don't know why you have troubles with the clutch, just let them replace the clutch..

regards

• Morning,

40.000 km at 12 month with this bike? Respect!

Warranty is warranty and yes, if there are no outher limitations written at your warranty contract (belgium is not germany) KTM has to fix it.

foix annotation is right. Don't go to the dealer with installed PC5! This loss warranty.

Problems with the clutch are known at this 690 ccm engines. There are a handfull guys at this discussion plattform with similar or same problem.

Regards

• 4000km instead of 40000 km. sorry type error 12000km/6months is correct. And no clutch wheelies, Lots of power wheelies in 3 and 4th gear. Powercommander was installed in the KTM dealer shop together with the EVO 1 kit and all options.

• Yes, I think so:
    Check the PC-mapping!
    Are you sure, it is created SERIOUSLY?

The reason for the lost clutch-cover nomally is a pinched or kinked motor degassing tube:
    This results in an increase of pressure inside the motor
    and a popping out clutch-cover.

The KTM guys told me I was riding to much.

:rolleyes:

Grüße von Babsi

Beratung und Vertrieb Fa. Myjet "Highscore"

• Thanx KlickKlack and offroad biker, mapping was done by myself the first time, but when warranty gave me a new exhaust I suspected the mapping (Powercommander open AKRA exhaust map) thus let the KTM dealer guys flash mine. I've downloaded this map and saw that above 6000RPM everything was set to +20..... Strange? but I trusted the ktm guys, and after 4000 it blew out everything inside the exhaust again.....
    So mapping.....will check.......

• I've downloaded this map and saw that above 6000RPM everything was set to +20..... Strange?

Yes:
    Strange and definitely NOT serious.
    For to create an REALLY fitting mapping you will need a power test rigg with an exhaust gas mesuring system
    ... or a lot of time and a lot of experience.

@ Klickklack, you are right:
    I havn´t recognised the marks on the inside of the clutch-cover.

Grüße von Babsi

Beratung und Vertrieb Fa. Myjet "Highscore"