10w50 vs. 10w60 @ break in stage

• Breaking in my 690 SMC R -14, only 150 km on the clock now. I've been keeping revs low, under 5000 rpms.

I thought that I'd do very early oil (+filter) change, at about 250 km. So I ordered a bottle of Motorex Cross Power 4T 10w60. Problem being that now I'm 200 km away from nearest shop that sells Motorex and just noticed that I have Cross Power 10w50 instead of 10w60. I know that 10w50 is listed in the user manual as an alternative option, but I'm still a bit hesitant about using it..

What difference (might) using lower viscosity oil be for a engine in it's break in stage (if any)?

I'm familiar about overall difference between 10w50 and 10w60 (60 being thicker / closer to optimal /original viscosity at higher temperature), but what actual difference there might be from engine's point of view, concerning it's operation.

Should I wait and ride 200-300 km more before oil change (with 10w60), or should I just do it with this alternative option?

• Use the oil witch is inside till 1000km and the first inspection.

:amen: Wir wollen Sommer AMEN :amen:

Möge der Schmierfilm niemals abreißen :driften:

• You can use the 10w50. At normal temperature it will work in the same way as the 10w60 would. As you keep the revs low the engine temperature won't get really high so nothing to worry about. Just change the oil when you reach the 1000km. A suggestion from my side, keep the first oil until you reach 500km, the first oil is not as wear protective as the normal oil, therefore you should leave it in the engine until, the break in stage is halfway through.

Nur Quer bist du wer....

• A suggestion from my side, keep the first oil until you reach 500km, the first oil is not as wear protective as the normal oil, therefore you should leave it in the engine until, the break in stage is halfway through.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know that motorcycle manufacturers used ship their bikes with "worse" oil, usually mineral oil I'd think, and maybe do so still? Most people think that it's because that kind of oil is better for break in period, but some thought that's only because that kind of oil is much cheaper, and it'll get changed soon anyway ;)

Personally I don't fully understand why using worse oil would be good.. engine is going to break in sooner, but wouldn't more gentle, even if it would be longer, break in period be better for the engine?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Dogi ()

• Personally I don't fully understand why using worse oil would be good.. engine is going to break in sooner, but wouldn't more gentle, even if it would be longer, break in period be better for the engine?

The period of 1000km is the minimum of the break in process, the engine wont be damaged if you break it in for 2000km....

I think the part with the "worse" oil is quite simple. KTM bikes are sold all over the world in different countries an outside conditions, so it will be much cheaper to use a widerange mineral oil for the break in stage and switch it on the first Service.

Just alwways have a look at the correct oil level (when engine is warm) and run the bike carefully on lower revs, till engine oil is warmed through.

Wehe wenn sie losgelassen...... :wheelie:

• Thanks for the suggestion. I know that motorcycle manufacturers used ship their bikes with "worse" oil, usually mineral oil I'd think, and maybe do so still? Most people think that it's because that kind of oil is better for break in period, but some thought that's only because that kind of oil is much cheaper, and it'll get changed soon anyway ;)

Personally I don't fully understand why using worse oil would be good.. engine is going to break in sooner, but wouldn't more gentle, even if it would be longer, break in period be better for the engine?

Maybe because the good oil has additives that won't let brake in the engine properly?
    So if the break in oil is even cheaper, you kill 2 birds with one stone.

MoGG #577:
    Ist der Hagel zu hart, bist du zu weich. Croce Domini 2013

• So it is:
    To use a oil with extremly good quality extends the time necessary for break in neddlessly.
    You should better use a not so good oil and change it earlyer than the manual says.

So there are good reasons, NOT to wait 200...300 km more:
    Throw out the dirty 150 km-Oil, fill in your 10w50 NOW
    and keep the Motorex for the 5000 km oil change!

Mit fröhlichen Grüßen aus Wien

DSP

• As far as i know, the 690 has a special rod bearing with a silver plated cage, once i have seen a service bulletin for the US market... They advised to run only the Motorex 10w60 in the 690 engine for that reason, protection of the rod bearing.

Could be marketing, yes, but who knows for shure ?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Faltenhals ()

• That´s right:
    The bottom rod bearing ist one of the mostly stressed part of a motor
    and I remember a impressive story:
    50 years ago the Ducati developement team had enormous problems
    with bottom rod bearing of their race four stroke.
    So they delegated it to the guys of FAG and these developed a customized bearing
    ... with an estimated lifetime of ... 25 hours.
    Therefore it was NOT my intention to say: "Use the cheapest oil for break in!"
    Nevertheless:

So there are good reasons, NOT to wait 200...300 km more:
    Throw out the dirty 150 km-oil, fill in your 10w50 NOW
    and keep the Motorex for the 5000 km oil change!

Mit fröhlichen Grüßen aus Wien

DSP